Finding the right refrigerator can be tricky, especially if you want a high-quality yet affordable brand made in the United States of America. So which refrigerators are made in the USA?
Refrigerators made in the USA are Whirlpool, General Electric, Viking Refrigerators, Thermador, and Sub-Zero.
To help choose the right refrigerator for your home, we will explore some of the more popular models from the brands mentioned above. We will also briefly discuss some of the brands’ history to better understand their affiliation with the United States of America.
Our list of refrigerator manufacturers includes two consumer brands: Whirlpool and General Electric, and three luxury brands, Viking, Thermador, and Sub-Zero.
These are all of the refrigerators made in the USA; however, the consumer base differs widely due to price, size, and function.
Refrigerators Made In The USA
Below is a complete list of refrigerators made in the USA that you can purchase today. Each of these American refrigerator brands also features American made appliances that you can add on to your appliance list.
Every American company offers new refrigerators and appliances at an affordable price. Most refrigerators made in the USA will cost tens of thousands of dollars. These American made products are budget friendly and all come with innovative features.
1. Whirlpool Refrigerators
Whirlpool has a rich history starting in 1911. Lou Upton, an insurance salesman, founded the Upton Machine Company in Michigan with his uncle Emory Upton, who owned a machine shop. Lou acquired a patent for a manual clothes washer following a failed business venture.
He approached his uncle and inquired if Emory could add an electric motor to the design. They started producing electric motor-driven washing machines with investment from a retailing executive Lowell Bassford.
The company grew steadily in the next decades, overcoming technical and economic problems, and sold its first Whirlpool-branded automatic spinner-type washer in 1948.
The Whirlpool corporation diversified, after it acquired the Seeger refrigerator company in 1955 and started producing Consul Refrigerators. Today Whirlpool is a major manufacturer of refrigerators and is manufacturing various kitchen appliances. They continue to produce their products made in the USA.
Whirlpool fridges come highly recommended as they offer a nice variety of sizes, features, and standard colors. Below we offer our two favorites for budget-conscious buyers as well as big spenders.
If you are in the market for a budget-friendly refrigerator, we recommend the 28-inch Wide Top Freezer Refrigerator model, WRT134TFDW. Coming in at a very reasonable $659, this model’s features include the following:
- Quiet Cooling, because nothing is more annoying than being woken by your fridge starting up in the middle of the night
- ADA compliance means that this fridge meets the standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act and is accessible to everyone
- Freezer Temperature Controls allow you to regulate the temperature in the freezer separately from the fridge’s temperature
- Energy Star Certified ensures that this refrigerator consumes electricity safely and sparingly to save you money on utility bills
These refrigerators are proudly still made in the USA.
If you have the cash to spare and are looking for the crème de la crème of refrigerators, we recommend the 36-inch Wide Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator model, WRF954CIHZ. For $3998, you can expect a multitude of features such as;
- Fingerprint-resistant surfaces come in handy when you are busy cooking and have to access the fridge
- Infinity slide shelves for those leftovers from Thanksgiving
- Platter pockets for pizzas, browny pans, or even lasagna
- Indoor ice storage for easy access to ice cubes for drinks
- Auto-Humidity Crispers are especially useful when storing fruits and vegetables of all sizes to help keep them fresh and crisp
- Freezeshield Option helps prevent freezer burn by reducing temperature fluctuations
- 30% more storage than competing brands
- Deli Drawer with Customizable Temperature, which is ideal for keeping proteins and different kinds of meat in premium condition
2. General Electric Refrigerators
General Electric (also known as GE) is one of the most well-known appliance manufacturers in North America and is 150 years old.
General Electric was initially comprised of many individual businesses in which Thomas Alva Eddison, the light bulb inventor, had business interests. In 1889 these individual businesses were merged into one big company called General Electric and headquartered in New York.
The first-ever commercial electric refrigerator was invented and produced by General Electric in 1927. It was called the Monitor-Top and cost $520, around $7000 today.
These types of GE refrigerators would continue to be produced and sold well into the 1940s. General Electric’s Appliance Park was built in 1951 in Louisville, Kentucky, where it remains one of the most significant appliance manufacturers in the United States today.
General Electric produces some of the most popular refrigerators in the United States of America and has a reputation for quality products and services.
As before, we will list a budget-friendly option alongside a no-holds luxury model, leaving the choice in your hands. These refrigerators are still made in the USA and continue to be manufactured here.
General Electric GTS18DTNRBB
The GE® 17.5 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator, model GTS18DTNRBB, is excellent for smaller apartments. It comes with everything a couple or small family needs for daily life at the low price of $709. The features include;
- Adjustable wire racks for easy reconfigurability to handle most food containers
- LED lighting comes in handy when you want to get that glass of milk in the middle of the night without waking anyone up
- Upfront separate freezer and fresh food section temperature control to individually regulate the temperature of your frozen goods and refrigerated produce
- Separate dairy compartment for products such as cheese and butter
- Gallon door storage bins enable you to store larger containers
- Clear crisper drawer that allows you to organize your fruits and vegetables neatly
- Highgloss handles that not only look good but clean up easily
General Electric GE Profile 27.9
The GE Profile™ 27.9 Cu. Ft. Smart Fingerprint Resistant 4-Door French-Door Refrigerator with Door In Door comes in at a hefty price of $3799 but with luxury features such as;
- The Hands-free autofill station will fill any container with filtered water while you go about other tasks in the kitchen
- An Adjustable temperature drawer with a bin caddy that allows you to organize and store a variety of things such as canned drinks and control their temperature separately
- The LED light wall illuminates every corner of this big fridge with clear white light
- Soft-close drawers ensure that your fruits and vegetables remain crisp and fresh and close smoothly and softly
- The door-in-door rotating bin is perfect for storing bottles of wine, beer, or your favorite beverages
- Built-in Wi-Fi notifies you when you have left the door open and lets you know what the temperature is at all times
3. Thermador Refrigerators
At $7999, the Thermador Freedom Collection model T36IT905NP is a beautiful stainless steel 36-inch Panel French doored model with a total capacity of 19.4 CU.FT.
But what it lacks in size, it makes up for in style and features. Wi-Fi, carbon air filters, Theater LED lighting, a Diamond ice-making system, and an UltraClarity Water filter are some of this refrigerator’s features.
Thermador continues to be produced here and proudly made in the USA.
4. Viking Refrigerators
Viking steps it up price-wise with the 5 Series model VCSB5483SS at $11069. This 48-inch built-in refrigerator with a 29.1 CU. FT capacity comes with Plasmacluster Air Purifying, adjustable humidity drawers, and more.
You can choose from seven different color schemes, with colors ranging from gold to cobalt blue. Viking claims that it also has spillproof shelves with nanotechnology that creates an invisible barrier to contain spills.
Viking refrigerators are still made in the USA today.
5. Sub-Zero Refrigerators
Sub-Zero refrigerators are considered by many to be designer appliances. The 36″ Classic Refrigerator with Glass Door model is no exception at an estimated price tag of $12000.
It has a glass panel that allows you to see inside the refrigerator. It has a fully automatic icemaker, Wi-Fi, LED lighting, Crisper, and automatic defrost mode, making it a pretty designer piece and functional refrigerator.
This great design continues to be manufactured and made in the USA.
Many other appliances and different refrigerators are still manufactured in the USA. Your choices are limited only by your budget and practical needs.
And if money is no object, you can have a designer refrigerator in your home. Americans have pride in their product and continue to support products made in the USA.
If you’re someone who enjoys to purchase products that are made in the USA, this is a great list for you.
We’ve compiled a complete list of frequently asked kitchen questions for new and experienced homeowners.
Our team of experts answers these questions to help assist you through DIY projects and home repairs.
For over a decade, Robin has been a real estate agent, interior design specialist, and mother. Through her trials and tribulations, she wanted to create the perfect website to help you save money and make your home look beautiful.